Bears, cougars, wolves, seals and sealions may visit the seashore.
How to be CoastSmart
- Predators may be in the area at any time – be alert!
- Respect “wildlife warning” signs. Do not enter closed areas.
- Keep your dog on a leash at all times.
- Never allow wildlife access to food, garbage, toiletries, or coolers.
- Avoid hiking alone, especially at dawn, dusk, or night.
- Keep children close; discuss bear, cougar, and wolf safety.
- Carry deterrents: walking stick, air horn and/or pepper spray (know how to use it, test it, check expiry date).
- Follow marine mammal and seabird viewing guidelines.
- Report any bear, wolf or cougar sightings to the appropriate authorities.
More resources can be found on the Parks Canada website.